The Diary of a Special Order… Part 1

or how $20.00 gave me the learning experience of a lifetime…

Friday, Feb. 11, 2011, started out like any other.  I woke up somewhere close to 10:00 a.m., turned on my computer, and went to get coffee.  I came back to my computer and opened my email program, and Google chrome.  I started checking Facebook,, and finally, etsy.  That is where it all started.  There, in orange, was the number “1” next to “conversations”.  I clicked on the link, and my journey began.

First Etsy conversation
The beginning of my learning experience

On the left is a picture of a beautiful pair of earrings.
Left-Not mine. Right my chainmaille earrings. The ones on the right are gorgeous, no?

I clicked on the link she gave me and saw the earrings on the left.  I wish I had the link to give you, but alas, I couldn’t find it.  All I can say is that I didn’t make the ones on the left.  I digress…

I told her I would be happy to make her earrings for $20.00 dollars out of wire-wrapped stones.  She replied with the following:

Conversation captture
Time to dig into my inventory.

So, I went into my zip-loc baggie of stones to see what I had, and rummaged through my other beads and findings.

gemstones and wire montage
The gemstones and wire...
beads and findings
The beads I thought would go great with the stones...

Nothing to do but upload the pictures to flickr and wait. I didn’t have to wait too long…

Her reply

Okay.  I had something to work with, a general idea, and a direction.  Now all I had to do was get over my first hurdle, making something I knew wouldn’t be my usual style.  I was stepping out of my comfort zone into where?  I didn’t know, and I was nervous.  Sure I had wire wrapped stones before, but only for use as pendants, not earrings.  This wasn’t going to be easy for me.

Saturday Feb. 12, 2011…

I played taxi to a good friend of mine who needed to go apartment hunting.  All the while he was walking around and filling out papers, I was trying to figure out how to make the earrings.  Ideas were coming into my head, but none of them were congealing into something that I could work out.  By the time the hunting was over I had  a monster migraine.  I sent her a message, and went to bed.  I would have to start on this project Sunday.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s