Lean Crock Pot Meatloaf Dinner
Buddy wanted meatloaf, and all we have in the truck to cool with is the trusty crock pot. I am always up for trying new things and cooking things that aren’t normally cooked in a crock pot, in a crock pot; so, I decided to give it a try. The ingredients are listed in the order they were placed in the crock. Heeeeeere we go. I give you Crock Pot Meatloaf!
2 medium russet potatoes
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp veggie or olive oil
salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes.
- With the skin on, slice them to about 1/16 -1/8 thickness.
- Line the bottom of the crock pot with the potatoes
- Use just enough water to cover the potatoes
- Add oil, salt and parsley. Mix well and let sit while you prepare the meatloaf.
The Meat Loaf
1 pound each:
Lean ground beef 90%
Lean ground pork 85-90%
2 tsp powdered garlic
2 tbsp dried minced onion
¼ cup oats
2 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp Mrs Dash
- Mix all meats together well.
- Add egg, oats, and all seasonings.
- Get your hands dirty. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Shape into a loaf and place on the potatoes.
- Garnish with tomato slices and drizzle pure maple syrup on top, about 1 ½ tbsp.
I just washed and lightly peeled two carrots and added on the sides. The carrots will be cooked and slightly crunchy.
I usually make Sofrito, a kind of Cuban marinade for my ground meats. It adds tons of flavor. Here is the recipe for that. Keep in mind, though, I didn’t add it to the recipe above.
1-4 oz. Can of tomato sauce
3 cloves of garlic
½ white onion
½ medium green bell pepper
4 sprigs of parsley
Place all in a blender and liquify completely. And mixture to ground meats.
Prep time approx 30 min
Cook time: 8 hours on low, about 5 hours on high.
Servings: Meatloaf 8-10 veggies about 2